Friday, August 01, 2008

Former Staff: Lisa Chen

Lisa Chen
Garden Educator, Martin Luther King, Jr. Middle School & Ida B Wells High School.

Lisa served as an Urban Sprouts Garden Educator during the 2007-2008 school year. When she joined us, she introduced herself in this way: "I am delighted to join Urban Sprouts as a Garden Educator! I have worked with youth for the past six years. During my time as an Architecture student at UC Berkeley, I served as an AmeriCorps member at Berkeley High School, providing tutoring and college counseling. After I graduated I became interested in outdoor education and went on to develop community programs at Hidden Villa, a non-profit organic farm and wilderness preserve in Los Altos Hills. Afterwards, I spent a year living in Costa Rica and Ecuador. In Costa Rica I worked as a classroom aide at the Cloud Forest School, a bilingual environmental education school in Monteverde, and in Ecuador I supported sustainable agriculture projects in rural and indigenous communities. These experiences in nature profoundly affected me, and I believe that everyone deserves this opportunity to be outdoors and to learn about how we are connected to the earth and to each other."

Now Lisa serves as a member of our Advisory Board, where she still contributes her wide variety of amazing skills and shares her commitment to our city's youth!

No comments: